[YamahaDX] DX21 factory restoration issue
hamsterdrum85@yahoo.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-13 18:05:26 UTC
I’m back and I got my DX21 back from storage last year. After being forced to put it in storage for 9 years, I got garbage data and no sound. I read up on the issue and it came down to needing a new battery. I finally replaced the battery last night and did the factory reset but I still got “A14 INT VOICE” as my default and everything else is garbage data. What am I doing wrong?
'Brian' briantolson@gmail.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-14 08:02:11 UTC
It sounds like everything is working but you need to reload the sounds from a rom or ram.

Brian.

2017-12-14 09:22:09 UTC
There’s no factory reset for this instrument. You have to load 32 VOICE data from internal ROM, or SysEx bulk dump data from computer, sequencer or similar external gear. And you have to load also 32 PERFORMANCE data. Read the manual.

I’m sure the original factory data can be found somewhere on internet. If you can’t get it, I can send it, but it looks like I have only voice data.

You can also try diagnostics test, to check if RAM is not damaged. It is described in Service manual. Again, it’s easy to find it elsewhere. Goggle is your friend, use this in search window:
yamaha dx21 service manual <https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=yamaha+dx21+service+manual&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>
The very first link is OK.

Good luck.

Daniel Forro

P.S.: 9 or 12? Never mind, it’s not important.
2017-12-14 10:55:32 UTC
I’ll check to see if the RAM is bad. I apologize for posting the same thing twice. My phone has been acting wonky.
pnetops@yahoo.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-14 12:20:51 UTC
I'm not sure Dan will understand 'wonky' as its British slang, but will probably understand from the context (@Dan - neco jako 'divny' :))
Daniel Forró danforcz@yahoo.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-14 12:42:09 UTC
I understand well - everybody knows Wonka chocolate factory :-)

That’s a joke. Of course I didn’t know, just guessed the meaning. Thanks for the lesson!

Behavior of his phone was not wonky. Wonky was that he has written in one message 9 years, in the other 12.

:-)

Daniel
2017-12-15 06:22:07 UTC
Aha! I read in the service manual exactly what I found in a forum. Test 2 requires a data cassette cable and a MIDI cable. I just have to plug the DIN8 part to the Cassette In/Out, the 1/4” Data In plug to the Audio Output of an amp, and the 1/4” Data Out plug to the Audio In of the same amp. The MIDI In and MIDI Out must be connected to each other with a single MIDI cable. If I can’t buy a cassette cable, making one is pretty straightforward. Pin 2 is Ground, Pin 4 is Data In, Pin 5 is Data Out, and Pins 1 and 3 are not connected. It’s basically the same thing as a cassette cable for the old Tandy TRS-80 computers.
Lee templarser@yahoo.co.uk [YamahaDX]
2017-12-15 06:44:51 UTC
The cassette pin out is as used on most i/o of the time.I believe also with Casio cz.

Pinout is at bottom of page:

http://templarseries.atspace.com/dx.html

Lee

Sent from my iPhone
man.of.mystery@ntlworld.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-15 06:51:22 UTC
It looks like you could use a DIN-5 audio adapter cable like this DIN to phono/RCA adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valueline-Female-Audio-Adapter-Cable-Black/dp/B00O29UVOA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valueline-Female-Audio-Adapter-Cable-Black/dp/B00O29UVOA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

ASIN: B00O29UVOA (or ebay equivalent)

Andy
skrubby_one@yahoo.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-20 05:31:16 UTC
Most likely need to reload the presets although I would have thought the'd be in a nonvolatile permanent memory but perhaps not
Brian briantolson@gmail.com [YamahaDX]
2017-12-20 05:44:36 UTC
No, no such luck.